06 April 2006

Demo downloads should be a required feature

Sony and Nintendo need to take note: demo downloads should be a part of every console made from this point forward.

In the three weeks or so that I've had my 360 set up, I've only taken advantage of the downloadable demos twice, once for Battlefield Modern Combat and again yesterday for Tomb Raider Legend. It's fortunate that those are the two that I've experienced thus far, since it proves the utility of the demo downloads: it saves me money and wasted time.

You see, I will most definitely not be buying Battlefield. Despite the fact that I've enjoyed what I've played of the series on the PC (BF1942, BF Vietnam) it just doesn't translate well to the console. The developers made some judgement calls on the movement and aiming systems that just don't do it for me -- while running, your reticule bobs up and down like a drunkard walking the line at a sobriety test, and don't even get me started on how bad it is to look through a scope while moving. (debating the realism of this is pointless, since I've never held a rifle much less shot one while moving side-to-side, but in terms of video games this system sucks).

I'm glad the demo was there to prevent me from ever buying that game.

On the flipside, I will definitely be buying Tomb Raider at some point. Not now, and definitely not for full price, but there was enough in that demo to convince me that I will enjoy it once I get around to it. I enjoyed much of the Legacy of Kain series and the influence of that developer (Crystal Dynamics) can be seen all over Tomb Raider. Clean, fluid control, excellent puzzles, and interactive environments have been hallmarks of Crystal Dynamics games in the past, and in this their new game does not disappoint. Slap on a mix of Indiana Jones and some Prince of Persia platforming and they've got what looks to be a really fun game.

And here I could have cared less about Tomb Raider, but the ease of access to the demo had me try it for the hell of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home