20 March 2006

Riviera the Promised Ending

I'm in an RPG-playing mood right now. My drive to play certain types of games comes and goes -- not sure why, really -- so it's come to the point where I want to play something slow, relaxing, and text-heavy with a hackneyed plot about saving the world. The problem is that Kingdom Hearts 2 is just around the corner and I don't want to burn out my RPG-groove in the next few weeks before that game comes out; this all but rules out games that will take me another 20+ hours to work through.

See ya Tales of Symphonia. You're a good little game, and will be next up if there's any juice left in the ol' RPG tank after KH2, but I'm just more excited for KH2 at present.

Hasta luego, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. I'm more than halfway through, but you'll take me far too long to complete without infringing upon KH2 territory.

Not happening, Dragon Quest VIII. We shouldn't kid ourselves. It's just not going to work out between us. 100+ hours is just too damn much for an RPG as old-school as you are. I hope you find someone out there for you; someone that will happily level-grind for the next decade in order to complete you.

So what does that leave me with? Riviera: The Promised Land on my GB Micro. It won the race because I think that I'm very close to the end of the game. You see, I bought this game late last year and played a good chunk of it on my commute to work. It had a lot of promise: some of the best production values I've ever seen on an RPG with SNES-like graphics, pleasant music, no wandering around aimlessly on a world map, and an interesting integration of weird dating-sim features (you play a guy in a group of all girls, and decisions you make will increase or decrease their satisfaction with you. Supposedly this affects events throughout the game). Unfortunately, there are a number of "quirks" in how the game is structured -- stemming from an apparent directive of the developers to break with RPG convention -- that wore on me over time. So I moved on to other things; things like reading a book.

But I digress.

Welcome back Riviera. I am willing to put up with your horrid inventory system that won't let me hold enough stuff. I am willing to put up with the fact that I will spend more time in "Practice" battles than I will in real battles. I am willing to put up with the weapon system that gives me a limited amount of uses before the weapon breaks. I am only willing to do this because I think you are almost over. You have as much juice left as a Russian beauty as she rounds the age of 25. Finish soon. Make it so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home